Who Is The Gerbera Flower Named After
Gerbera flowers are available in almost all the colours of the rainbow except blue if you see a blue one it was created artificially.
Who is the gerbera flower named after. Gerbera is native to tropical regions of south america africa and asia. Transvaal means across the vaal a river in south africa. The gerbera is a plant that went that way even though we use it as a common name these days. Initially the plant commonly known as gerbera today was called african or ethiopian aster.
The flower is named after the german physician and botanist trauggott gerber who did most of his work in the 1700s. The name transvaal daisy also refers to the location of its discovery. The name african daisy is easy to understand as well as the name barberton daisy. In 1737 the dutch botanist jan frederik gronovius described the transvaal daisy and named it gerbera after the contemporary physician and botanist traugott gerber.
Gerbera gets it s name from german botanist and medical doctor traugott gerber. Is a genus of plants in the asteraceae daisy family. Dutchman jan frederic gronovius is responsible for christening the genus gerbera after the physician back in the 1700s. Gerbera ˈdʒɜːrbərə or ˈɡɜːrbərə l.
It is not known why he chose to do so. Other names associated with this flower include the barberton daisy the transvaal daisy and the african daisy. Gerbera flower interesting facts. Gronovius papers are held at the british museum and might.
Introduced to britain in the nineteenth century gerberas are a relatively new addition to the uk s floristry industry. But who was the person it was named after. The flower itself originates from south africa asia south america and tasmania. Gerbera jamesonii is named after two different people from two different centuries.
This river runs across the country and to the north you will find the country s capital pretoria. There is no such thing as a blue gerbera daisy. They are named after german. It was named in honour of german botanist and medical doctor traugott gerber 1710 1743 who travelled extensively in russia and was a friend of carl linnaeus.
On one of his journeys he ended up in south africa on a discovery trip and found the gerbera daisy near a excavated gold mine. Gerbera flowers were named after trauggott gerber a botanist and physician from the 1700s. Although this is surprising to some people the plant actually originated in africa and if you go there today you can still find varieties of the flower growing in the wild.
- Bird Of Paradise Flower Has Black Spots
- Blue Dahlia Flower Bulbs
- Black Velvet Petunia Flower
- Black Small Black Iris Flower Tattoo
- Bird Of Paradise Flower Watercolour
- Black And White Dandelion Flower Tattoo
- Blue Anemone Flower Oil Inci Name
- Black Rose Flower Dp For Whatsapp
- Black Iris Flower Shop Crowthorne
- Black Calla Lily Flowers For Sale
- Bird Of Paradise Flower Watercolor Painting
- Bird Of Paradise Flower Growing Zones
- Black Realistic Black Iris Flower Tattoo
- Black Rose Flower Online Buy India
- Bleeding Hearts Sun Or Shade
- Blue Hydrangea Wedding Flowers
- Black Hydrangea Flower Tattoo
- Blue Hydrangea Funeral Flowers
- Bird Of Paradise Flower Easy To Grow
- Blue Crown Passion Flower Vine